What to Expect from Your Comprehensive Las Vegas Eye Exam
If you haven't had a comprehensive Las Vegas eye exam in many years, but you don't notice any obvious vision problems, you might not understand the need for these regular evaluations. But vision problems can sneak up on you gradually that you may not realize just how much help you need and some of those problems can be caused by serious, sight-robbing eye diseases. Here at Kopolow & Girisgen Doctors of Optometry, we want to detect and treat those issues before they can permanently damage your quality of life, and regular eye exams are a critical method for achieving that goal.
We use a variety of testing modalities to get an in-depth picture of your current eye health and clarity of vision. These include:
- Visual acuity testing - Visual acuity is a critical aspect of any comprehensive Las Vegas eye exam. We may use different kinds of eye charts to determine how well you can read various sizes of letters.
- Refractive error correction - If you have trouble with visual acuity, we'll have you look through a special device called a phoropter as we dial in different degrees of refractive error correction. This process helps to determine your exact corrective lens prescription.
- Slit lamp testing - We shine a bright light into your eyes to examine the various structures, starting with the lens, cornea, iris and sclera at the front of the eye. This helps us diagnose cataracts, eyelid problems and corneal infections.
- Pupil dilation - Dilating your pupils allows us to look at the retina and blood vessels in the rear portion of the eye, a technique called retinoscopy. This is critical for detecting conditions such as macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and retinal detachment.
- Glaucoma testing - A simple technique called the "puff test" helps us diagnose glaucoma, a progressive eye disease characterized by high fluid pressure inside the eye. A tiny, painless puff of air against the eye measures your eye pressure.
- Cover test - By covering first one eye and then the other as you read an eye chart, we can determine whether you have "lazy eye" or other unequal vision disorders.
- Color blindness testing - We can determine whether you suffer from color blindness, an important consideration for recognizing traffic light, warning signs, etc.
- Peripheral vision testing - By telling us when an object enters your field of vision, we can detect limitations in your visual range that might indicate an underlying disorder.
Learn More from the Offices of Las Vegas Drs. Kopolow and Girisgen
Now that you have a better idea of just how a comprehensive Las Vegas eye exam can benefit you and your loved ones, it's time to take action so you can start enjoying those benefits first hand. Kopolow & Girisgen Doctors of Optometry offer ten convenient locations across Las Vegas, including six LensCrafters and seven Pearle Vision locations. For more information on our Las Vegas eye care services, call 702-341-7254 or 702-452-2020.